Saturday, August 11, 2007

New Techniques=better viewing

So it's been a steep learning curve for comics, and the problem i'd been having with the solely-illustrator drawn versions was that the images looked akward and it wasnt drawn by hand, as in other than clicking and making shapes. This new technique saved time and just looked better. That means I could do more with a smaller amount of time and make them look like actual comics. I probably wouldnt return to the old way because it took way too long.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was then able to mix illustrator and photoshop techniques to futher streamline and get a more desired effect. The style just happened to be anime-derived. I'm not trying to make a 'manga' or stay close to any real anime rules. I chose an anime-derived style because it's easier and more recongizable than, say, abstract expressionsim. Or cubism, for that matter.

I could have been true-to-form with the human characters, but it just doesnt work. The fuzzes were anime-like and it was better to keep the rest of the comic like that. Needless to say there have been challenges with the humor because the character dont look nearly as sunday-morning-comicish as they did. But hey, it's all a learning curve. Plus, considering I hadnt touched illustrator for more than a few months before I started doing this, I think I'm learning quickly. I prefer hand-drawing to computer drawing anyway. I'm probably a purist like that in a sense. That's why this new technique helped me stay closer to a hand-drawn style that I prefer.

and now, another random image!

This was a random concept sketch i drew. It was a fan-boy moment. if you can guess what series it's close to, you get brownie points. I'm still a college student so I dont have any money to give. Sorry.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: